The mission of the Wilson Creek Frozen 50k is to offer a unique, winter running experience on the stunning Wilson Creek trail system in January. Runners will traverse the Reynolds Creek gorge and summit Wilson Peak while braving the elements and enjoying the scenery and wildlife viewing opportunities. These trails showcase southwest Idaho at its finest. We aim to share in this beauty with outdoor enthusiasts during a time of year when most people are watching the weather from the warmth of their homes. If you are looking for an epic adventure, you will not be disappointed.
The 10 M loop contains ~2200′ of elevation gain and the 20 M loop contains ~4900′ of elevation gain for a total ~7100′ of elevation gain for the 50k. The 50k is a combination of the two loops.
2013 Race Latest News:
- 1/21/13: Wilson Creek Frozen 50k 2013 Results courtesy of Rich Marion are all ready to go! Results are also uploaded to Ultrasignup.
- 1/20/13: The Wilson Creek Frozen 50k 2013 lived up to it’s name with a -3 degree start! Here’s a snapshot by the numbers:
50K: 71 registered; 10 DNS; 61 starters; 58 finishers; 3 DNF
20M: 45 registered; 4 DNS; 41 starters (3 sweeps incl.); 40 finishers; 1 DNF
10M: 149 registered; 26 DNS; 123 starters; 121 finishers (2 sweeps incl.); 2 DNF
Totals: 225 starters; 219 finishers; 40 DNS; 6 DNF = pretty awesome outcome!
Thanks to all of our sponsors and volunteer clubs and agencies, without whom we would not have an event: The Pulse Running & Fitness, Scott Sports our Trail Series title Sponsor, TrailRunner Magazine, Hammer Nutrition, Blacks Creek Guide gear, Dennis Ahern Woodworking, Rolling H Cycles, GoLite, Vitality With Sparkle, Tony Salazar and Tempus Photo Design, The Cascade Project, Starbucks Nampa, Blessing Plumbing Service, ABC Sanitation, SignHype, Dillon Plumbing, Idaho Sporting Clays & Hunting Club, Nampa Smiles, Rich Marion with Pro Race Timing, and photographer Allen Sandquist; The Canyon County ATV Club, The Boise ATV Trail Riders, The Murphy Reynolds Wilson Volunteer Fire Department & Quick Response Unit, the Bureau of Land Management Owyhee Field Office, and the Boise County Amateur Radio Club. Special thanks Rick Harris of the Canyon County ATV Club for coordinating our ATV volunteers and to Mike Blessing for EVERYTHING. Thanks to the Boise Trail Runners and all the other runners, family members, and lovely volunteers for enduring the Siberian temps to aid our runners. The commendations from runners about the volunteers are many. Thanks to Tony Huff, Dennis Ahern, Brian Nebeker, and Ben Blessing for marking the course, and to Amy King, Jon Kinzer, David Tarkalson, Mark Hutchinson, and Rich Hale for sweeping our courses. THANKS to Rich Marion for providing professional timing.
- 1/21/2013: Pictures by our photographer Tony Salazar with Tempus Photo Design are posted on his website and are available for free download. A bunch of you also won photo prizes from him, and he will be following up with you soon! Also, Allen Sandquist’s photos from the start/finish will also be posted in the next couple of days on the race website. Thanks to our amazing photographers! (Update 2/18/13: Allen Sandquist’s pictures are posted on the Photos page.)
- 1/16/13: Course Update: Check out this AWESOME VIDEO from Tony and Dennis, our course marking gurus, about how to navigate the out and back Wilson Peak Summit and how to not get DQ’d. Much of the course is covered in snow – more snow up high, as shown in the video; less snow down lower. There are a few sections of ice covered with a skiff of snow; the red canyon is virtually snow-free and is in stellar condition.
- 1/14/13: Read the pre-race briefing email that was sent to all runners tonight.
- 1/14/13: We created a facebook event for you to use to share information about trail conditions and arrange carpooling. Please carpool if at all possible!
- 1/13/13: Bib #s are assigned in Ultrasignup. Remember, you may pick up your packet at The Pulse Running & Fitness on the 17th or 18th from 10-6, but bib #s with chips will be handed out when you check in on race morning. This is the mandatory checkin that will let us know we need to account for you on the trail.
- 1/13/13: All-race aid station chart and an overview contextual map have been created and uploaded. Check them out! Please remember that if you are a 50k runner and decide to drop at the 20 Mile aid station, you will be a DNF and not a 20 mile finisher. This is a rule change from last year.
- 1/12/13: Registration is entirely closed and no one will be allowed to enter from this point forward. We are maxed out on materials for packets.
- 12/9/12: Online registration is CLOSED; but if you come to the Idaho Trail Ultra Series party on Thursday, January 10th at 6:30 PM, you will have one last chance opportunity to register. Bring your checkbook!
- 12/27/12: Only 10 more days to sign up for Wilson Creek! Sign up by January 7th. Please. Just do it.
- 10/16/12: Note - Change in rules from 2012: If you sign up for the 50k race and choose to drop at the 20.3 mile point, this will be considered a DNF. Due to the confusion caused by numerous people choosing to drop and take a 20M finish last year, we are discontinuing this practice. If you start the race as a 50k participant and do not finish 50k, you will not be listed as a finisher at any distance. You may change races up to 1/2 hour before race start, but may not change races once they have begun.
- August 2012: Registration for the 2013 race is open! Get ready for Saturday, January 19, 2013…
THANK YOU to the Ness brothers and Silverline Films for producing this video of the 2012 Wilson Creek Frozen 50k!!
- Wilson Creek 2012 by the numbers: 194 starters; 37 DNSs; 9 DNFs; 87 10-Mile finishers; 55 20-Mile finishers; 43 50k finishers = 185 muddy finishers in the inaugural WCF50k.
- Read news coverage and race reports from the 2012 race.
- Pictures from Michael Lebowitz of Long Run Photography are up! If you want to buy prints LISTEN UP- use the coupon code “Frozen” to get free ground shipping i.e. shipping like an ultra run…a little slower but you get there in the end. Watermarked photo downloads are FREE!
- Wilson Creek 2012 Results - FINAL
- A big shout out to our ‘Frozen Stiff’ finishers: Michelle Anderson in the 10 mile; Tina Russell in the 20 mile; and Leah Wilsey and Heather Ramsdell in the 50k!
Also much love to our 5 sweeps: Josh Ingram, Sam Collier, Tate Fischer, Bill Rupp, and Jon Kinzer!
The first half of this video is pictures taken from a January run at Wilson Creek in 2011.
The Wilson Creek Frozen 50k is presented by Pickled Feet Ultra Running,
Emily Berriochoa and Davina Jackson, Race Directors.